Women are eligible for membership in the Auxiliary if they are themselves a veteran who served honorably or if they fall into one of the following categories:
- Great Granddaughter
- Great Grandmother
of an active duty servicemember or veteran who served honorably during any of the eligible war eras listed below. Step-relatives in the categories above, such as step-mother, step-sister, step-daughter, are also eligible.
- April 6, 1917 to Nov. 11, 1918 (World War I)
- Dec. 7, 1941 to Dec. 31, 1946 (World War II)
- June 25, 1950 to Jan. 31, 1955 (Korean War)
- Feb. 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam War)
- Aug. 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984 (Lebanon / Grenada)
- Dec. 20, 1989 to Jan. 31, 1990 (Panama)
- Aug. 2, 1990 to today (Gulf War / War On Terrorism)
1. If a request for American Legion Auxiliary membership is based on a family member who is living, that person must be a member of The American Legion.
2. If a request for Auxiliary membership is based on a deceased veteran who was not a member of The American Legion, the prospective member will be required to provide verifying documentation that proves her eligibility.
3. A woman veteran may join the American Legion Auxiliary without being a member of The American Legion if her dates of service fall within at least one of the eligible service categories, as described on the ALA membership applications. If, however, her family members wish to join the Auxiliary or the Sons of The American Legion through her service, she must first become a member of The American Legion; The Legion will verify the woman veteran’s eligibility.
In addition to the DD214, examples of other acceptable documentation to verify eligibility are:
- DD214 (not issued until Korean War)
- Official military orders
- Official military service citations/awards
- Letters related to the veteran’s military service on official government letterhead
- Certificate from the V A records center in St. Louis, and Data from the back of older discharges. Military records may be requested from the National Archives at: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/
Click here to download a printable application. Please complete the form and drop off to the Post or mail it to: American Legion Auxiliary, Melissa Driffill, 518 Riverside Drive, Clayton NY 13624.
2014 Dues are $21